The governors at St. Teresa's Catholic Primary School have adopted the 'Journey In Love' programme to support the non-statutory relationships and sex education across the school from Reception to Year 6. The programme of study is authentic to the teaching of the Catholic Church.
As part of our commitment to you, we will send information home about the programme before it is delivered in the Summer Term. You will have the opportunity to meet with staff to discuss the programme in more detail. As parents, you have the right to withdraw your child from this aspect of the curriculum however, this is not to be confused with curriculum Science which is statutory.
If you require any further clarification regarding this aspect of the curriculum please contact Mrs Holmes.
Why is RSE in Catholic Schools important?
RSE is part of the mission of Catholic schools to educate the whole person. It should be carried out as part of the holistic education which seeks to form as well as inform young people in preparation for adult life.
What does outstanding RSE in Catholic school look like?
In order for Catholic RSE to be fully effective it needs to:
- Be faithful to the Church's vision of human wholeness whilst recognising the contemporary context in which we live today;
- Involve parents as they are primary educators of their child;
- Provide a positive view of human sexuality and dignity of the human person;
- Equip young people with the ability to make practical judgments about the right thing to do in particular circumstances;
- Explore and promote virtues which are essential to promoting respect and dignity;
- Be delivered in an age appropriate way which reflects the development of the child;
- Be part of the cross-curricular work ;
- Be sensitive to the needs of the individual pupil and recognise the mix of pupils with different sexual orientations, genders and family backgrounds in each class;
- Be taken seriously by governors and teachers as an integrated part of the broad and balanced curriculum that Catholic schools offer;
- Be delivered by competent professionals who understand the Church's teaching.