During the summer months, there comes the possibility of sunny weather and heatwaves. Overexposure to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) radiation presents a severe risk to the health and well-being of our pupils, with the potential to cause sunburn, blistering and sickness. Pupils are allowed to bring hats and sunscreen, into school, to apply themselves.
- Pupils will be asked to provide their own sunscreen in a bottle labelled with their name.
- A reserve supply of sunscreen will be stored in the school for pupils who forget theirs.
- Sunscreen will be stored in a cool, dry place and the expiry date will be monitor.
- Sunscreen will be self-administered, under supervision, where possible.
- Teachers and other staff members will not be encouraged, and will not be required, to apply sunscreen to pupils, due to the potential for allegations of abuse.
- Where a teacher or other staff member agrees to apply sunscreen to pupils, such a pupil with SEND, another member of staff will witness the application and parental consent will be obtained beforehand.